Saturday, March 23, 2013

LinguiSystems: Just for Kids Apraxia

 

Just for Kids Apraxia

I really enjoy working with motor speech disorders.  I do different things depending on the age of the child and severity of the disorder. Just for Kids Apraxia works well with those 4-6 year olds who have a sense of the alphabet and are talking a lot. They are the children who come to me (sometimes after a couple years of therapy) essentially unintelligible.  My goal is to improve overall intelligibility as quickly as possible.  So I use the alphabet to organize my sessions. Children at this age need to know the alphabet and parents easily understand the home practice assignments. I work on letters/sounds in the following hierarchy:   

  • Sounds in Isolation
  • C-V-C Words
  • Multisyllabic Words
  • Sentences
  • Expressions
To make materials easy to use, I photocopied picture pages from the units on different colors of paper, laminated them, cut them into flashcards and put them in a file box.  The busy clinician just grabs the flashcards and therapy manual, and is ready to go for the session. 

Two of  my Teahers Pay Teachers products complement Just for Kids ApraxiaA is for Ape can be used with the first unit (sounds in isolation). The words in A is for Ape are shorter and easier for younger, more impaired children. Copy Cat: Words of Increasing Length provides more phrases to use in the carry over portion of the program. 



No comments:

Post a Comment