Saturday, March 23, 2013

LinguiSystems: Easy Does It for Articulation A Phonological Approach







I caution young clinicians not to use flashcards from articulation decks in phonological processes therapy. The phonetic contexts are not controlled. A child with a severe phonological processing disorder cannot handle cat, rock, school, ladybug, etc.  These words contain more than one difficult phoneme.

In Easy Does It for Articulation A Phonological Approach, the words are carefully selected so the phonetic contexts of the target words do not contain other phonetic patterns that are typically deviant in children.  This approach followed in this manual is based on the work of Barbara Williams Hodson and Elaine Pagel Paden. 

I use the pictures from this manual in therapy daily.  I have them laminated, clipped together and in baggies (e.g., a s-cluster baggie, a /r/ baggie, a "sh" baggie, etc.). I just grab the appropriate baggie from my cabinet and am ready to go. I copy the pictures and activity list to send home for practice.  For the child who is not ready for drill, I encourage mom to get one or all of the suggested books from the library and provide auditory bombardment.

No comments:

Post a Comment